When Circular Quay was Circular!
- Duration: 2 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Circular Quay, Sydney, NSW
- Product code: Walk 7
When Circular Quay was Circular - Walking Tour.
An interesting walk around the shores of Sydney’s earliest settled areas. Explore the forgotten shoreline, view historical buildings, see the significant landmarks around Sydney cove and hear about how and why they are here.
Sydney Cove carries so much of Sydney’s first settlement history. Visit the place where the First Fleet came ashore and learn about the incredible changes this landmark Sydney location has endured over the last two centuries. As you explore the forgotten shoreline, you will discover evidence of the original landscape and the earliest 19th century developments, understand the evolution of the Quay and why this area has been subjected to so much change over the years.
Consider the first Australians – the Cadigal people who lived in this area for over 20,000 years prior to European settlement. Challenge your thoughts on the significance of Australia Day and whether you think it should be a celebrated National Holiday.
Explore the original maritime centre of Sydney and see why it remains the gateway to the city today.
This walk is completely flat, you will not even climb any stairs as we walk and talk our way around Circular Quay. We start at Campbells Cove and finish up at the Opera House. From here you can easily make your way back to Circular Quay to catch a ferry or train. There are also many places we can recommend to stop for a drink or to dine your afternoon away if you would like to stay on in the area.
Please book and pay online, you will receive an email confirming your booking, and also a reminder before the tour.
- If you would like a different start time or have any special requests, please get in touch as we can easily customize our walks to suit your requirements.
- Our child rate applies to children and teenagers up to and including 17 years - many children will likely find this tour very interesting, however this tour is not recommended for children under 10 years of age.
- Our maximum group size for this walk is 16 people, and no minimum - we will still tour with just one guest!
- This walk is also suitable for people in wheelchairs, please let us know in advance by phone or email if you have any special requirements.
- Duration is 2 hours
- Distance is approx 1.3km [0.8 Miles]
- Meeting point is at Hickson Road Reserve, by the waters edge; it’s a park on the point just next to the Park Hyatt Hotel Sydney
- Finish point is in front of the Sydney Opera House steps
- There are plenty of toilets in the area for comfort stops when required
- This tour operates in all weather conditions, there are many places to shelter along the way if the weather isn't so nice but remember to bring a jacket or raincoat.
What to bring:
- Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking outdoors - high heels are NOT recommended!
- Wear a hat and sunscreen if it is sunny
- Wear a jacket if it is cooler
- Bring a water bottle if you like - there are also plenty of places to stop along the way for refreshments if required
- Don't bring your luggage with you, this won't be practical. Let us know before the walk if you need to store your bags and we can help you with this.